Watertown Fire Rescue

The Watertown Fire Rescue responded to an oven fire in the 500 block of 2nd St Northwest shortly after 8:00 o'clock last night. Firefighters arrived on-scene to find smoke in the house. The only occupant was able to get the fire extinguished prior to their arrival.  

According to firefighters the home suffered no damage, and only required a small amount of smoke to be removed. Fire crews say they were on scene for about 30 minutes.  

Watertown Fire Rescue reminds anyone who has an oven fire to simply close the oven door prior to calling 911. They would also like to remind you that grease fire should be smothered, rather than extinguished with water. They say to cover the fire, turn off the heat source, and if the fire is small a Class B or chemical fire extinguisher can be used.  

Taking away the oxygen from this type of fire is the most important thing to do. If any of these methods fail, call 911 immediately.