USD

Emergency officials responded to a report of a gas leak at the University of South Dakota on Saturday.

Around 4:55 p.m on Saturday, the Vermillion Fire EMS Department responded to a report of natural gas smell in the Coyote Residence Hall at the University of South Dakota’s campus along with officials from MidAmerican Energy. High levels of natural gas on the first floor of the building.

The facility was fully evacuated as a precaution. Crews ventilated the first floor, and high levels of natural gas were also found on the third and fourth floors. Gas to the building was shut off.

After inspection of the building a broken gas pipe was located in one the rooms. The line was isolated and shut off.

Students were allowed to return to their rooms by 8:22 p.m. The residents that live in the room with the broken pipe are being temporarily moved until the issue is fixed.  No injuries were reported.