South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem says she is suing the Biden Administration over their failure to allow fireworks at Mount Rushmore this year.  Noem made the announcement yesterday (Thursday) at the Rotary club meeting in Watertown.   Noem brought back fireworks to Mt. Rushmore for Donald Trump’s visit to the monument on July 3rd, 2020.

The National Park Service rejected the South Dakota Department of Tourism’s request for this year’s July 4th fireworks display.  In early March, National Park Service Regional Director Herbert Frost sent a letter to South Dakota officials saying, “Potential Risks to the park itself and to the health and safety of employees and visitors associated with the fireworks demonstration continue to be a concern and are still being evaluated as a result of the 2020 event.”    A joint statement issued by  Sen. John Thune, Sen Mike Rounds and Rep. Dusty Johnson quickly followed saying the decision was  “Political and not evidence based”.  During the Rotary meeting yesterday the Governor agreed……

Noem said a document allowing fireworks at Mount Rushmore last year included a multi-year agreement between South Dakota and the National Park Service.