Watertown Fire Rescue

Watertown Fire Rescue responded to a fire in the deli at Wal-Mart shortly after noon on Monday.  Fire Personnel say that when they arrived on-scene they found the fire had started in one of the deep fat fryers. 

A deli employee had pulled the Ansul extinguishing system which is located over the fryer, putting the fire out.  It appears that the fire started while employees were doing general cleaning of the fryers and filtering the oil.  One of the fryers was low on oil and the fryer was not completely shut down causing it to overheat.

The smoke in the area was cleared using overhead exhaust fans.  Firefighters say that damage was minimal and the store will have the system back in operation in a couple of days.