In a joint investigation, reporters from the Associated Press and Reveal at the Center for Investigative Reporting spent months unearthing the history of convict leasing that built business empires. They focused on Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad, which ran a stockade and coal mine, and the company that later bought it, U.S. Steel. The team found someone living today whose ancestor was imprisoned in the Lone Rock stockade nearly 140 years ago. They also interviewed the descendant of a man who got rich from his role in pioneering Tennessee’s convict leasing system. The reporters also heard from U.S. Steel. For the first time, it said it was willing to discuss its past with members of the affected community.
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
- Hurricane Ian nears Cuba on path to strike Florida as Cat 4
- British pound plunges to new low as tax cuts spark concern
- AP News Summary at 8:30 a.m. EDT
- Zach Lipovsky and Adam B. Stein to direct Final Destination 6
- Ana de Armas defends Blonde nude scenes
- Taylor Swift reveals title of track 7 on Midnights
- Kid Cudi grew 'tired of making albums' before unique Entergalactic
- 13 dead, 23 wounded in school shooting in Russia
- Watertown Mall Owners Legal Dispute with City Over Road Closed by Payloader
- Mayor Holien Discusses What's Going on with the Former Old Home Bakery Building
- Two-Vehicle Crash at Uncontrolled Intersection Watertown
- Watertown High School Announces Royalty Candidates
- Watertown Police Catch Vandalism Suspects - Sent to Diversion Program
- Watertown Growing? New Development in the Works Near Lake Kampeska
- Castlewood Crowns Homecoming Court
- Lions Club Charity Kicks off Bingo Nights with Extra Cash Prizes, Tonight
- "Awesome Watertown" Help Ritual Addictions Give Back on 20th Anniversary
- Good News-Modak Dairy Serving Up Meals
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive our daily news? Signup today!