CORUNNA, Mich. (AP) — A Michigan man accused of killing another man and hanging the victim’s mutilated body from a ceiling has pleaded guilty to murder. Mark Latunski appeared in Shiawassee County court Thursday, nearly three years after 25-year-old Kevin Bacon was killed, about 90 miles northwest of Detroit. A judge will hold a hearing on Oct. 18 to determine if the case will be classified as first-degree or second-degree murder. First-degree murder carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison. Defense attorney Mary Chartier was interested in pursuing an insanity defense at trial. She says she doesn't believe a guilty plea was in Latunski's best interest. Latunski initially was found mentally incompetent to stand trial but that status changed after treatment.
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
- AP News Summary at 12:48 a.m. EDT
- Cuba holds unusual vote on law allowing same-sex marriage
- Seoul says North Korea, China reopen freight train traffic
- Cuba prepares evacuations as strengthening TS Ian nears
- Broncos, Wilson edge Niners, Garoppolo 11-10 in prime time
- Today in History: September 26, first presidential debate
- AP News Summary at 11:55 p.m. EDT
- New Zealand marks queen's death with holiday, church service
- Watertown Mall Owners Legal Dispute with City Over Road Closed by Payloader
- Mayor Holien Discusses What's Going on with the Former Old Home Bakery Building
- Two-Vehicle Crash at Uncontrolled Intersection Watertown
- Watertown High School Announces Royalty Candidates
- Watertown Police Catch Vandalism Suspects - Sent to Diversion Program
- Watertown Growing? New Development in the Works Near Lake Kampeska
- Castlewood Crowns Homecoming Court
- Lions Club Charity Kicks off Bingo Nights with Extra Cash Prizes, Tonight
- "Awesome Watertown" Help Ritual Addictions Give Back on 20th Anniversary
- Good News-Modak Dairy Serving Up Meals
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive our daily news? Signup today!