NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Sam Gooden, one of the founding members of the Chicago soul group The Impressions and a member of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, has died. He was 87. His daughter Gina Griffin, says he died Thursday in his hometown of Chattanooga, Tennessee. Gooden, along with Curtis Mayfield, Jerry Butler and Richard and Arthur Brooks, formed the group in Chicago. Their first hit was “For Your Precious Love.” Led by Mayfield's lead tenor voice, the group had a string of hits including “Gypsy Woman,” “Keep On Pushing,” “People Get Ready,” “It's All Right,” and “We're a Winner.”
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
- AP News Summary at 10:38 p.m. EDT
- Officials: Loud 'boom' heard in north Utah likely a meteor
- 8 Israelis wounded in Jerusalem shooting
- Alec Baldwin did pull the trigger, says FBI report
- Suspect in Sir Salman Rushdie case pleads not guilty
- Music and acting are similar, says Chrissy Metz
- GOP heavyweights stress urgency at annual Basque Fry
- Agent: Rushdie off ventilator and talking, day after attack
- July's Watertown Yard of the Month Winners
- SD Dept. of Corrections Warns of High Risk of Reoffending Inmate Being Released
- "End of Summer Summerfest" Passes the "Baton" and Announces 2022's Entertainment
- Watertown Man Sentenced for Multiple Charges Including Felony Meth Charge
- 25-Year-Old Watertown Woman Charged with Felony Abuse/Cruelty of Minor Under 7
- Anjelica Uthe New Interim Executive Director at "Visit Watertown" as Katherine Danforth Departs
- Sioux Falls Woman Sentenced by Codington Courts for Multiple Drug Charges
- Huron Police Department Seeking Public's Help Identifying Vehicle in Video
- South Dakota Highway Patrol Report Semi vs. House Crash
- Webster Woman Sentenced for Theft, Embezzlement, and Misapplication by Bank Employee
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive our daily news? Signup today!