HAVANA (AP) — Cuban authorities say a fire set off by a lightning strike at an oil storage facility is raging uncontrolled in the city of Matanzas, where four explosions and flames injured 121 people and left 17 firefighters missing. An unidentified body was found late Saturday. Officials say firefighters and other specialists are still trying to quell the blaze at the Matanzas Supertanker Base, where the fire began during a thunderstorm Friday night. Officials say lightning set one tank on fire and the blaze spread to a second tank. The accident comes as Cuba struggles with fuel shortages. A nearby neighborhood was evacuated.
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
- FIU LB Luke Knox dies at 22
- US stocks edge higher in another round of choppy trading
- Big bucks for Big Ten: League to net $7B in media rights deal
- Ukraine's Zelenskyy hosts talks with UN chief, Turkey leader
- AP News Summary at 12:00 p.m. EDT
- MCTlive! Capital Markets Platform Becomes First to Integrate with Freddie Mac’s Whole Loan Purchase Advice Seller API
- Israel closes Palestinian rights groups it labeled terrorist
- Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck's wedding officiator has been revealed!
- Watertown Man Sentenced for Multiple Charges Including Felony Meth Charge
- SD Highway Patrol Investigates UTV Minor Injury Crash Near Watertown
- Estelline Man Swerves to Miss Deer on Motorcycle and Thrown Over Handlebars
- Sioux Falls Woman Sentenced by Codington Courts for Multiple Drug Charges
- One Person Died and 3 Others Injured Brown County One-Vehicle Fatal Crash
- 10 Winners Walk Away with $1,000 Each as KXLG's Summer Cash Giveaway Comes to an End
- Chamberlain Man Charged with 3 Counts Child Abuse and Domestic Abuse
- Motorcycle Goes "Airborne" and Collides with Sign Near Elkton
- Dept. of Veteran Affairs Bridge Dedication Ceremony for Local Sgt. James Haider
- Hamlin County Sheriff's Office Report Car vs. House Crash
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive our daily news? Signup today!