KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) — Ugandan authorities have suspended the work of a prominent LGBTQ rights group, calling it an illegal entity. Sexual Minorities Uganda has been the East African nation’s most prominent support group for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people since 2004. Its leader, Frank Mugisha, said Saturday that authorities who oversee non-governmental organizations advised him to suspend activities, saying his group lacked needed documentation. “This means that the life-saving work we do is on hold," he said, adding: “The background, of course, is homophobia and transphobia.” The NGO Bureau said in a statement that the group needed to stop work “with immediate effect” because it’s neither a company nor an NGO.
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
- Officials: Loud 'boom' heard in north Utah likely a meteor
- AP News Summary at 10:14 p.m. EDT
- 8 Israelis wounded in Jerusalem shooting
- Alec Baldwin did pull the trigger, says FBI report
- Suspect in Sir Salman Rushdie case pleads not guilty
- Music and acting are similar, says Chrissy Metz
- GOP heavyweights stress urgency at annual Basque Fry
- Agent: Rushdie off ventilator and talking, day after attack
- July's Watertown Yard of the Month Winners
- SD Dept. of Corrections Warns of High Risk of Reoffending Inmate Being Released
- "End of Summer Summerfest" Passes the "Baton" and Announces 2022's Entertainment
- Watertown Man Sentenced for Multiple Charges Including Felony Meth Charge
- 25-Year-Old Watertown Woman Charged with Felony Abuse/Cruelty of Minor Under 7
- Anjelica Uthe New Interim Executive Director at "Visit Watertown" as Katherine Danforth Departs
- Sioux Falls Woman Sentenced by Codington Courts for Multiple Drug Charges
- Huron Police Department Seeking Public's Help Identifying Vehicle in Video
- South Dakota Highway Patrol Report Semi vs. House Crash
- Webster Woman Sentenced for Theft, Embezzlement, and Misapplication by Bank Employee
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive our daily news? Signup today!