LONDON (AP) — The Booker Prize-winning author of the acclaimed “Wolf Hall” trilogy has died. Hilary Mantel was 70. Publisher HarperCollins said she died “suddenly yet peacefully” on Thursday surrounded by close family and friends after suffering a stroke. Mantel turned Tudor power politics into page-turning historical novels with her trilogy about the 16th-century English powerbroker Thomas Cromwell, the right-hand man to King Henry VIII. She won the Booker Prize twice, for “Wolf Hall” in 2009 and its sequel “Bring Up the Bodies” in 2012. Both were adapted for the stage and television. The publisher on Friday called Mantel “one of the greatest English novelists of this century.”
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
- Climate change made summer drought 20 times more likely
- AAA: TN gas prices up a penny, state remains the 5th least expensive market in the nation
- AP News Summary at 5:00 p.m. EDT
- Nicaragua charging exiled opponents' relatives
- San Francisco mayor pledges again a crackdown on drug sales
- France: Oscar winners cut off their hair for Iran protesters
- Wall Street's rally runs out of gas, leaving indexes lower
- King Charles ‘set be crowned June 3 next year‘
- Exclusive Updated Watertown Athletic Complex Aerial Photos from Mammoth Construction
- Flock of Wild Turkeys Causing Nuisance in Watertown
- Watertown Mall Payloader Update and Harbor Freight Not Coming
- Watertown Fire Rescue Respond to Vehicle Fire
- Watertown Mayor Says Casino Owners are the Issue, Not Smoke Shacks
- Watertown Man Arrested with Stolen Firearms and Drugs
- Vehicle vs. Cow Crash Causes Major Damage in Hamlin County
- Roberts County Sheriff's Office has Busy Night with Multiple Calls
- Watertown Fire Rescue Responds to Three-Vehicle Crash
- Titze Family Marks 70 Years of Dentistry in Watertown
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive our daily news? Signup today!