MADRID (AP) — Spain’s Civil Guard says it seized 14 metric tons (15.4 tons) of hashish from Morocco and arrested 49 people as it smashed a major drug-smuggling ring. A Guardia Civil statement issued on Friday said the gang was the biggest operating in Spain, regularly bringing up to 20 metric tons (19.7 tons) of hashish a month from North Africa to the Iberian peninsula. The police say the drugs landed on southern Spanish coast and allege the smugglers were heavily armed because rival gangs commonly attempt to steal them. The statement says the gang was well organized and had separate groups in charge of loading, high-speed motorboats, fuel supplies and food.
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
- Oklahoma authorities fatally shoot man threatening officers
- Judge temporarily blocks search of slain reporter’s devices
- Pakistani FM says water receded 50% in flood-ravaged Sindh
- AP News Summary at 1:20 p.m. EDT
- DACA ruled unlawful by federal appeals court, but program continues for now
- French writer Annie Ernaux awarded Nobel Prize in literature
- Drug gang kills 20 in attack on city hall in southern Mexico
- 154 New Industrial Manufacturing Development Projects Showed Improved Performance in September 2022
- Exclusive Updated Watertown Athletic Complex Aerial Photos from Mammoth Construction
- Watertown Fire Rescue Respond to Vehicle Fire
- Roberts County Sheriff's Office has Busy Night with Multiple Calls
- Watertown Fire Rescue Responds to Three-Vehicle Crash
- Watertown Man Arrested with Stolen Firearms and Drugs
- Titze Family Marks 70 Years of Dentistry in Watertown
- Watertown Mall Payloader Update and Harbor Freight Not Coming
- Flock of Wild Turkeys Causing Nuisance in Watertown
- Highway 212 Road Construction Update with Contractor J & J Earthworks
- Watertown Mayor Says Casino Owners are the Issue, Not Smoke Shacks
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive our daily news? Signup today!