BUSAN, South Korea (AP) — The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan has arrived in the South Korean port of Busan ahead of the two countries’ joint military exercise that aims to show their strength against growing North Korean threats. The joint drills will be the first involving a U.S. aircraft carrier in the region since 2017. The allies have revived large-scale military drills this year, responding to North Korea’s resumption of major weapons testing and increasing threats of nuclear conflicts with Seoul and Washington. The South Korean navy said the training is meant to boost the allies’ military readiness and show “the firm resolve" of the South Korea-U.S. alliance for the sake of peace on the Korean Peninsula.
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
- Cargo traffic movement resumes between Colombia, Venezuela
- AP News Summary at 1:44 p.m. EDT
- US stocks slip deeper into a slump as recession fears grow
- Cyprus seeks UN help to stem asylum-seeker 'avalanche'
- Cowboys' Micah Parsons, Jason Peters in, WR Michael Gallup out for MNF
- Belgian justice minister under protection over kidnap plot
- Egyptian cleric revered by Muslim Brotherhood dies at 96
- Putin's call-up fuels Russian anger, instability, violence
- Watertown Mall Owners Legal Dispute with City Over Road Closed by Payloader
- Mayor Holien Discusses What's Going on with the Former Old Home Bakery Building
- Two-Vehicle Crash at Uncontrolled Intersection Watertown
- Watertown High School Announces Royalty Candidates
- Watertown Police Catch Vandalism Suspects - Sent to Diversion Program
- Watertown Growing? New Development in the Works Near Lake Kampeska
- Castlewood Crowns Homecoming Court
- Lions Club Charity Kicks off Bingo Nights with Extra Cash Prizes, Tonight
- "Awesome Watertown" Help Ritual Addictions Give Back on 20th Anniversary
- Good News-Modak Dairy Serving Up Meals
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive our daily news? Signup today!